Gambling Laws & Regulations in Canada
When it comes to gambling in Canada, it is legal in so long as you stick to the provincial rules. This means that while some forms of gambling are allowed everywhere (lotteries), other types of gambling are only allowed in certain provinces (land-based casinos). Sports betting falls into the latter category - where in certain provinces it is allowed but only if you are placing parlay bets. So how do you know which forms of sports betting are legal in your province and which of the top sports betting sites you can use? The answer is simple: just check out our handy bullet point list below to see what the rules are by province and territory.
For Ontario residents, the gambling laws and regulations are exceedingly relaxed. You are allowed to play online at PlayOLG, use Pro-Line for online betting, or choose an off-shore Canadian betting sites. Ontario also allows for land-based casinos, and has horse racing, slots, lotteries, and charities as well.
For those in Quebec, the province is quite liberal regarding its gambling laws, which means you can access any of the off-shore live betting sites and bet legally. You can also take part in their sports betting site Mise-O-Jeu which allows you to place parlay bets, or the government-run Espacejeux for online casino games. The province also has land-based casinos, horse racing, slots, lotteries, and charities too.
For those in Alberta, gambling is a popular hobby to partake in. Players have the option of visiting any of the 20+ land-based casinos, or they can place parlay bets at any of the legal betting sites in Canada. You can also access any of the off-shore sportsbook websites to bet legally as well. Alberta also allows for slots, horse racing, lotteries, and charities.
In the province of British Columbia, Canadian players can choose to head to one of the 15+ land-based casinos, play on the sports betting website PlayNow, or use one of the top sports betting sites that are hosted off-shore that accept Canadian players. B.C. allows for slots, horse racing, lotteries, and charities.
If you are a resident of the province of Manitoba, then all casino-based activities that are online or offline, are overseen by the Liquor and Gaming Authority. You can use the online PlayNow casino, choose to participate in sports betting at Sport Select, or choose from one of the online sports betting sites we have listed out below for some safe off-shore online play. Horse racing, slots, lotteries, and charities are also found in Manitoba.
With New Brunswick being a relatively small province, the land-based casinos are quite limited. If you’re interested in regulated sports betting, you can use the Pro-Line website for online play. As with the other provinces, you are legally allowed to participate in any off-shore sports betting websites that legally accept Canadian players. While it is possible to find slots, horse racing, lotteries, and charities in New Brunswick, it’s much easier to simply play at any of the off-shore Canadian sports betting sites.
For Canadian bettors based in Nova Scotia, the province offers two land-based casinos that are run by the government, and provide you with access to Pro-Line for parlay sports betting. Horse racing, slots, lotteries, and charities are available here.
Newfoundland and Labrador
For Canadians in the jurisdiction of Newfoundland and Labrador, there are no land-based casinos as the government does not permit them to operate. This also means that there are no regulated casino sites available online either. If you are looking to wager on sports, you can use Pro-Line to try your hand at online sports betting, or you can sign up with one of the best Canadian betting sites listed out below.
Residents of Saskatchewan may not participate in online casinos, although people from other provinces or countries are allowed to do so. It is permissible to establish a land-based casino in Saskatchewan, but not an online casino. Sports betting is legal in Saskatchewan, as long as it's done through the Sports Select service and parlay wagers on sports events (except horse racing) are required.
Prince Edward Island
For those living in PEI, there are no land-based casinos present, but they are legally allowed to operate within the province. Pro-Line is available online for sports betting, and residents are legally allowed to use popular off-shore sites for legal sports betting on their favourite sports like hockey, lacrosse, nhl, soccer, football, baseball, and so on. Horse racing, slots, lotteries, and charities are available here.
While the law does allow for land-based and online-based casinos, there are none in the Northwest Territories for residents. If you’re looking to do online sports betting, the options available are Sport Select and off-shore betting sites that accept Canadian players.
In the Yukon, permanent licenses are not permitted for land-based casinos, however temporary licenses are available to a variety of sites for up to three days at a time. There are no licensed online casinos in the territory, but Sports Select does offer legal sports betting services. As with the other provinces and territories, you can play on any of the top sports betting sites.
If you are located in Nunavut, there are no available land-based casinos, but online sports betting is available through Sport Select. Residents are also able to bet on major sports through offshore online sportsbook sites and sports betting apps.
Top 10 Canadian Betting Sites
launched back in 2006, BetWay is now recognized internationally as a major player when it comes to sports betting and online wagering. They have a strong reputation for having some of the best bonuses available, without sacrificing on their lines or popular events. Plus, their website is modern in design, they have convenient banking options, a dedicated loyalty program, and payout within 1-5 days.
- Betting markets amount to 30,000+
- Features the best in esports betting
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Has early cash out as a feature
- Live streams are limited
Bettors looking for lines on football, hockey, baseball, or basketball will want to visit Sports Interaction. You'll also discover lines for boxing, soccer, and certain large sporting events; as well as excellent bonuses and live betting options. Sports Interaction is a top-tier betting site that performs well on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Customer support is available 24/7
- Strong, comprehensive top sports coverage
- Website is optimized to be mobile friendly
- No native mobile app for download
- Does not provide in-depth coverage of European leagues or sports
- The website design is outdated
Bodog has established itself as one of the sports betting industry's keystones, with a fantastic welcome bonus and numerous ongoing and seasonal promotions. You’ll get to enjoy mobile betting and a streamlined desktop website.
- Streamlined, single account for sports bets, casino and poker
- Extensive list containing props and futures
- Bonuses are comparatively generous
- French is not offered as a language option
- Access is not available to the US
- Some sports do not offer live betting
One of the newer platforms available in the online Canadian gambling market, Bet99 already boasts an impressive sportsbook and casino. Not only that, but they sport a modern, easy to use platform run by a fantastic, friendly customer service team. No need to worry about trustworthiness either, as Bet99 is licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commision as well as Gaming Labs International.
- Good amount of betting markets available
- Favourable odds of winning
- Bonuses are considerably generous
- Relatively new platform
- Does not offer any live streaming
This sportsbook is all about the low margins, high betting limits, and the greatest odds. Pinnacle doesn’t look to advertise, they do not enter into large sponsorship agreements, nor do they give incentives to new users. Rather, you get nothing but the best odds available on the market. So, if that’s what you’re looking for, Pinnacle has it.
- Most popular sports have ample coverage
- Every market benefits from great odds and lines
- Offers 24/7 customer support
- Supports multiple Canadian banking methods
- Casino and virtual sports have additional betting options
- Has low margins and high betting limits
- Fast withdrawal process
- Does not include a bonus for signing up
- Withdrawals after the first in each month aren’t free
- Range of sports is not as great as other bookies
When it comes to William Hill, you can’t really go wrong. They are a globally recognized sportsbook that was founded back in 1934 as a company that took mail and phone bets via their brick and mortar betting shops. They have a full-range of betting and gaming options, are well-known and reputable, and you can find some really good promotions and rewards with them. Plus, they have tons of deposit options for those who need more than just a few.
- Fantastic promotions and offers for Canadian bettors
- Provide secure Canadian deposit and withdrawal methods
- Is a top regulated and licensed sportsbook in the UK
- Can be found on the London Stock Exchange
- The place to go if you want extensive offers for numerous sports markets
- Has live streaming and in-play betting
- The welcome bonus can be confusing for new members
- Email support is not as fast as it could be
- The betting interface has an outdated design
This bookie was made for the die-hard sports betting fans and frequent flyers of online casinos. It may have only been launched in 2018, but has quickly risen to the top of the sports betting charts. New to online sports betting? It even features a section to teach you everything you need to know to get the most out of the platform, and offers a long line of bonuses to keep you coming back for more.
- Vast range of customer support options to suit your needs
- Multiple sign-up bonuses and offers
- Interface is user-friendly
- Customer live chat support doesn’t have 24/7 availability
- Platform lacks live streaming
- There is no mobile app, despite a mobile-friendly website
Founded back in 2009, BetSafe is known as one of the top sports betting sites for Canadian players due to its comprehensive odds. They have an excellent set of sport betting markets across numerous sports, great betting odds that cover a large range of the markets, and they offer live in-play betting as well as, casino, poker, and bingo. Their website is very easy to navigate, and they have a ton of promotions, offerings, and a fantastic welcome bonus.
- Sign-up bonus of up to $1000
- Highly diverse betting markets
- Exceptional focus on sports and horse race betting
- Year long promotions, including bonuses and free bets
- No compatibility with cryptocurrencies
In 1997, Unibet was founded with the goal of sharing sports knowledge to assist interested gamers in making better bets. Canadian bettors are able to wager real money on large-scale events, casino games, poker, bingo, and tons of live sports. The company has a mobile app, and it is licensed by MGA in Malta.
- Larger betting market compared to competitors
- Offers tips and statistics on worldwide major events
- Showcases 40,000+ live events
- Some markets may impose betting limits
- Restrictions can occasionally be placed on winners
This sports betting hotspot has been in operation since 2007, and houses a whopping 400K players under its roof. The sports, casino and poker wagers are all made live, and are available 24/7. Connect with the mobile app and keep more than 60,000 events right in your pocket.
- Excellent, reputable live betting bookmaker
- Multiple ongoing promotions and contests
- Odds of winning are comparable to those of competitors
- Platform lacks a dedicated racebook
Comparison of Canadian Betting Sites
We hope that our tiny reviews might have educated you a little more about the finest betting sites in Canada, but if you're in a hurry, the most important features of Canadian betting sites may be enough. We've chosen three important elements of betting sites in Canada for you, and have outlined them in the table below.
How to Bet on Sportsbooks for Canadian Punters?
Wondering how you go about actually betting with one of the top sportsbooks in Canada? Read on to find out more about depositing, promotions, bet types, and more.
How Do I Deposit to a Sportsbook in Canada?
Once you’ve made an account with one of the Canadian sports betting sites, simply login, verify yourself, and head to the banking section of the website. This is often found underneath your profile dashboard. From here, you will be able to choose your deposit method, fill out the information, and make the transaction. If you’re wondering about which types of payment methods are accepted at most sportsbook sites, head to the banking and payments section below.
Popular Canadian Sports Betting Promotions
Some of the most popular bonuses and promotions that come with the best Canadian betting sites include the following:
- Sign Up Bonus: this is a big matching % of your first deposit.
- First Bet Match: this allows you to double your first bet amount.
- Reload Bonus: when you refill your account, you get a bonus amount on top.
- Refer-a-Friend: if you give your friend a code or link, you get a bonus after their first deposit.
- Racebook Rebate: lost last week? Get a % back.
- Free Bets: bet with the sportsbook’s own money.
- Rotating Promotions on Big Betting Events: SuperBowl, Stanley Cup, Wimbledon, World Cup, Lacrosse World Championship.
It is important to note that these bonuses or offers are not the only ones available. Most sportsbooks also run their own internal promotions that are fun and easy to join in on. For instance BetWay has BetWay Boosts (boosted odds), and Your Lead - You Win, while other sportsbooks like 888Sports let users pick 8 games for a change to win cash prizes (if all are correct) called the 8 Promotion.
Profitable Markets to Wager in Canada
Some of the most profitable markets to wager in are football, soccer, hockey, and tennis. These sports have major events including the Super Bowl, the Stanley Cup, the World Cup, and Wimbledon.
Bet Types at Online Bookies in Canada
At the betting sites on our list, you'll be able to find all kinds of sports betting lines and odds. You can wager on single-game point spreads and money lines (single-game betting), totals, and parlay bets, as well as more complex betting like NHL pucklines, MLB runlines, and player and team props. There is also in-game wagering done with live betting. And the ability to bet on “futures” such as season-winners, point leaders and more ahead of each season.
Canada and Daily Fantasy Sports
In Canada, daily fantasy sports are legal. DraftKings and FanDuel are two of the largest companies in the business.
Mobile Sports Betting Sites in Canada
If you are looking for a mobile-friendly sportsbook that you can head to on your phone, a mobile application you can download, the best options include: Bet365, BetWay, Sports Interaction, William Hill, Unibet, Casumo, BetSafe, PowerPlay, Pinnacle, LeoVegas, 22Bet, Spin Sports, Bodog, and BetVictor.
Choosing a Good Betting Site in Canada?
Now that we’ve covered the legality of betting at the best sports betting sites in Canada, and have provided you with a list of the safest online sports betting sites available to Canadian players, let’s talk about actually choosing which site to use when placing bets. There are many things you’ll want to consider before signing up with any website, so take your time and look at them all. We recommend using the points below as a starting point for narrowing down your selection.
Legal, Licensed & Safe
With your real money at stake, you need to be sure that you’re depositing with a bookmaker that you can trust. To ensure this, only make accounts at legal betting sites in Canada that are licensed with the kahnawake gaming authority. Also make sure that when you go to the website, that they are using HTTPS encryption as this secures any and all sensitive information, including any transactions you make.
Sign Up Offers
The most popular online gambling sites in Canada provide sign-up bonuses. Take a look at our comparison table above to see sign up offers and promotions of our top sports betting sites for Canadians. Please also read the fine print as there are always terms and conditions that apply.
Banking and Payment Options
After signing up with one of Canadian sports betting sites, you can deposit via one of their accepted banking methods. Common payment options include credit cards like MasterCard and VISA, e-wallets like Instadebit, iDebit, EcoPayz, PaySafeCard, Neteller, Skrill, or choose to use banking methods like a bank wire transfer, or Interac. Many sportsbooks also allow cryptocurrencies to be accepted like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Typically, the deposit method you use to fund your account will also be the method that you withdraw your funds too.
Design, Style, and Usability
If the design of the website is tedious to use, you’re not going to enjoy your time placing bets on it. Make sure that you like the overall style and design, and make sure that the entire sign up, betting, and withdrawal process is streamlined and easy to understand.
It is important to always look for Canadian sports betting sites that offer competitive odds on all of their live sports and events. Some just provide competitive odds on popular sports such as NFL football and NHL hockey, while others specialize in certain markets like NBA basketball. So, when you go to sign up, make sure that there are viable betting opportunities on all of your favourite sports.
Mobile devices are increasingly being used to place sports wagers in Canada. As a result, the finest Canadian sportsbooks must ensure that they can satisfy their mobile customers. Betting sites will have been created with cell phones and tablets in mind. This ensures that the sites are compatible with the appropriate screen sizes while also allowing access to all of the same markets and features. Some of the top sports betting sites will also have mobile betting apps available for you to download from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. So, if you're always on the run or simply want to use your phone, our suggested Canadian bookies can help you make wagers with.
All of the recommended sportsbooks in this guide will have some kind of customer support available to you, whether that is in the form of live chats, customer service emails, or 24/7 phone numbers that you can access at any time.
Sports & Betting Markets Available
With Canadians being some of the biggest sports fans on the planet, the increasing amount of individuals choosing to participate in live betting on their favourite teams and athletes, means that bookies must meet their demands and offer popular markets such as: NHL, NFL, NBA, and more. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the popular sports to bet on in Canada, and which betting sites best fit each niche.
Best Football Betting Sites
Despite Canada having the third largest city in North America (Toronto), Canada does not have a National Football League franchise. However, this doesn’t stop Canadians from wagering on both NFL and CFL at top sports betting sites. If you’re looking to bet on football, Canadian bettors should check out Bet365, 1xBet, and BetVictor.
Best NHL Betting Sites
In Canada, hockey is king. If you're a lover of the Canadiens, Senators, Maple Leafs, Jets, Flames, Oilers, or Canucks and like to watch sports, then you're probably into betting on hockey and the NHL as well. Here are our top three picks for the best NHL betting sites where you may put your wagering skills on display: William Hill, PowerPlay, and Bettogoal.
Best Basketball Betting Sites
While basketball has always been well-liked in Canada, the Toronto Raptors' NBA championship triumph in 2019 only elevated the game to new heights. Millions of people follow the NBA, with the Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies being adored by many. Moneylines, total points, halftime/full time, parlays, and props are all popular markets for those looking for live betting on sportsbooks like BetWay, Bodog, and Sports Interaction.
Best Baseball Betting Sites
Baseball is a favorite pastime in Canada. Ontario's Labatt Park is the world's oldest baseball stadium, having been built in 1887. The Toronto Blue Jays play in the MLB, and the Montreal Expos (now the Washington Nationals) were a Canadian MLB franchise. Bets on the world's top baseball teams are widely made, with wagers being placed on the outcome of individual games and player performances. Canadian sportsbooks like Sports Interaction, BetWay, PowerPlay, and Bodog have live baseball betting.
Best Soccer Betting Sites
While soccer isn’t as large in Canada as it is in Europe, it has exploded in popularity over the last few decades. Many Canadians follow the MLS, and support European teams nowadays, which has boosted overall interest in the beautiful game. As a result, live betting on leagues and competitions such as the English Premier League, Champions League, MLS Cup, and World Cup are placed throughout the season. All of the best Canadian sports betting sites will offer soccer as a market.
Best Rugby Betting Sites
Canada has established a solid presence in the world of rugby, with both 15 and 7-man teams competing. The men's national team is regularly among the top 20 in the world, while the women's team is one of the best. Today, there are several betting options on lineup markets such as match winner, total points and halftime/full options. For rugby, the best Canadian betting sites are: Bet99, Sports Interaction, Unibet, and William Hill.
Best Tennis Betting Sites
Tennis participation in Canada has grown considerably in recent years. This is due, in part, to top professionals like Denis Shapovalov, Milos Raonic, and Bianca Andrescu. Tournaments from across the world may now be bet on by Canadian punters. The Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open are all heavily covered. A large number of pre-match, in-play and outright tennis markets can be found at the sites in our top 10 betting sites reviews above. Special mention of Sports Interaction, and William Hill.
Best Golf Betting Sites
The first golf course in Canada was established in 1873. Men's and women's professional tournaments are held weekly throughout the season, with most of these being covered by top Canadian sports betting sites. Recommended live betting sites for Golf include BetWay Sports, Bodog, and 888 Sport.
Best Lacrosse Betting Sites
Another Canadian national sport is lacrosse, which was originally called Baggataway by the Algonquin and Tewaarathon by the Iroquois. Some of the best Canadian betting sites have recently introduced lacrosse markets for Canadians to bet in. The NCAA basketball tournament is the most popular event, during which moneyline, spread and over/under bets are available.
Best Canadian Online Sportsbooks in 2023
With more than $14 billion being spent per year on sports betting sites, there is no doubt that Canadian bettors love wagering on their favourite sports. Now, with the legalization of single-game sports betting in Canada, it’s a good time to take a look at the top sportsbooks available for Canadian players. In this in-depth guide, we will take you through the legality of sports betting in Canada’s provinces and territories, walk you through how we rate and review online gambling bookies, and we will provide a list of the leading top 10 bookmakers in Canada. Plus, if you need help, we’ve got a section on how to choose the best sportsbook for you, and we will finish off with a small FAQ. Let’s dive in!
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Canada?
The short answer is yes, online sports betting at top sportsbooks in Canada is legal. In fact, it’s a multi-billion dollar industry with hundreds of thousands of Canadians playing at licensed and regulated sites every year. There are many reputable online bookmakers that accept wagers from Canadian players across all provinces and territories. For an easy look into which provinces and territories let you gamble within Canada, take a look at our comparison table below.
|Province/Territory||Land-Based Casino||Sports Betting||Slots/Horse Racing/Lottery/Charity Gaming/OffShore|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||No||Yes||Yes|
|Prince Edward Island||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Northwest Territories||Yes, but there are practically no land-based casinos available||Yes||Yes|
|Yukon Territories||Yes, but only at temporary gaming establishments. No permanent land-based casinos exist||Yes||Yes|
|Yukon Territories||Yes, but only at temporary gaming establishments. No permanent land-based casinos exist||Yes||Yes|
|Nunavut||Yes, but there are practically no land-based casinos available||Yes||Yes|
How to Choose The Best Sportsbooks in Canada
When it comes to choosing between Canadian bookmakers, it is very important to take into account the following parameters: trustworthiness, desired payment deposit and withdrawal methods, excellent customer support, licensing, and a wide range of markets, live events, and games that you can bet on. Read on below to see how we rate and review Canadian gambling bookies, as this will give you an inside look into what to look for when you’re selecting your next sportsbook.
How We Rate and Review CA Online Sportsbooks
When rating and reviewing online betting sites, we only recommend the best Canadian sportsbooks, that we ourselves are willing to deposit and cashout at. Whether you’re looking for a new mobile betting website, or want to jump into the fantastic odds at some of the new sportsbooks popping up, we have you covered. We take into account licensing, markets, odds, bonuses and offers, payment methods, in-play betting, live streaming, customer service, and platform availability.
Licensing is extremely important when choosing from top rated sportsbooks. Not only does it ensure that the best bookmakers in Canada have met the high standards of proper business practices that you expect, but it also ensures that you’re playing at a fair and reputable place. All of our top Canadian online betting sites hold licenses from trusted bodies like Kahnawake Gaming Commission, eCOGRA (eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation & Assurance ) or the UK Gambling Commission.
When it comes to top sportsbooks, the quantity of betting markets is crucial. No matter if you’re interested in basic bets, outright winners, handicaps, specials, or accumulators; the best gambling bookies provide a wide range of market options for Canadians. For instance, 50+ markets per match on hockey, and football is fantastic, while 15 markets on winter sports is excellent.
Naturally, you want to place bets at Canadian bookmakers that have high odds on a wide range of live sports and events. Some of them will just provide competitive odds on popular sports like NFL football and NHL hockey, while others tend to specialize in NBA basketball. Instead, we ensure that there are competitive odds across all of your favorite sports, including MLS, MLB, NHL, NFL, and NBA.
Bonuses and Offers
Bonuses, offers, and sports betting are inextricably linked. The majority of online bookmakers’ reviews are focused on bonuses because generous offerings not only increase your balance, but improves your odds of winning. For example, if you receive a 100% sign up bonus on C$600.00, you’re going to get a lot more money to bet with.
Payment Methods Available
The best Canadian sportsbooks offer a wide range of payment methods that are convenient and trustworthy for Canadians. This includes secure payment options for debit cards, credit cards, e-wallets, prepaid cards, bank transfers, and more without extravagant fees.
In-Play Betting Options
The best betting sites have a great range of in-play markets, so you can place bets even after the match has started. This includes pre-match and live betting options for all major north american sports (e.g., hockey, football).
High Quality Live Streaming
live streaming options and in-play betting go hand in hand. Bettors love being able to watch the game they're betting on live and make informed decisions while the match is happening.
Excellent Customer Service
Top Canadian bookmakers provide excellent customer service, with 24/365 support available in multiple languages. This includes telephone support, email support, and live chat.
Available On Multiple Platforms
All the top sportsbooks have mobile betting platforms that are easy to use on smartphones and tablets. You should also be able to access their websites on your desktop or laptop without any problems. The website's design is important, as you'll want it to be user-friendly with quick navigation menus.
Top 10 List of Online Bookmakers in Canada
Based on our research, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of the best bookmakers in Canada. Check them out and select the one that best suits your play style.
Betway is a respected, reliable, and law-abiding international betting firm with a stellar reputation. They have a solid top rated sportsbook with good odds across several sports, including hockey, baseball, soccer, and horse racing. Betway Canada also provides a top-tier casino with numerous slot machines, table games, and casino games to choose from.
What we like:
- A highly reputable company
- A wide variety of payment options
- Tons of bonuses and promotions
- Payouts are swift
- 500+ casino games
- Numerous sports betting leagues
What we don’t
- High stakes poker tournaments are limited
- Provisions on live streaming
Sports Interaction is one of the few gambling sites in Canada that has been licensed and controlled since 1997, providing a safe gambling environment for consumers. The company combines both sports betting and high-quality casino games on one platform, making it an ideal destination for many Canadian bettors who want to wager on a variety of events.
What we like:
- More than 200 live events per day
- More than 1,000 leagues, tournaments, and competitions for betting
- 1,000+ casino games
- 50+ branded slot games
- Has popular table and card games
- Fast withdrawals
What we don’t
- U.S players not accepted
- May need to submit verification multiple times
- Sometimes there are delays on withdrawals
Bodog was formed in 1994 and is now one of the biggest gambling sites for Canadian players. Whether you prefer sports betting, poker, casino tables, slots, or horse racing, Bodog is an excellent choice; they've been offering a safe, world-class gaming service to Canadians for decades.
What we like:
- Payout speeds are extremely fast
- Policies are in favor of players
- Bodog provides soft odds
- Support staff is online 24/7, 365 days a year
What we don’t
- Debit and credit card processing has a fee attached
- Odds are posted later than other sportsbooks
- They have a turbulent history in Canada
While Bet99 is a fairly new sportsbook, established in 2019, it’s known for offering great odds and fantastic betting options on over 30+ sports, and 1000+ casino games. While it does not offer live-streaming, it does offer in-play betting.
What we like:
- Has many sports to bet on
- Gives access to numerous betting markets and types
- Has great betting margins
- Generous in bonuses and promotions
- Has in-play betting
What we don’t
- Relatively new to Canadians and no live streaming
Pinnacle.com is a cutting-edge online gambling site that provides outstanding service. This web sportsbook and casino allows players from over 100 different countries to participate. There's something for everyone at Pinnacle, with hundreds of sports events and over 2,000 casino games to choose from. The Pinnacle offers high odds and low margins. Furthermore, seasoned bettors can place high bets with little restrictions, making it one of the best Canadian sportsbooks around. The site has worked diligently since its inception in 2004 to remain relevant by offering a variety of esports, virtual sports, and live dealer casino games.
What we like:
- Best sports betting odds in Canada
- Huge range of betting markets
- Fast withdrawals
What we don’t
- Very small welcome bonus
- Fewer markets than other sportsbooks
This is one of the oldest, and top sportsbooks and casinos available, having been founded way back in 1934. This means that it is a giant company, with a massive player base, and often has numerous sponsorship deals for newcomers. They sponsor leagues, events, and teams, and provide you with over 28 sports to place bets on.
What we like:
- High betting odds
- Mobile-friendly platform
- Been safe and trusted since 1934
- Giant lineup of sports to bet and wager on
- Live streaming and in-play betting
What we don’t
- Can be overwhelming for newcomers
PowerPlay is a new Canadian online gambling bookie that provides both a competitive casino and sportsbook games (2018). Canadians will discover a large range of games (100+), 30+ sports, and many betting options.
What we like:
- Has a beautiful Canadian color theme
- Generous amount of sports to bet on
- Numerous betting methods available
- Live streaming of virtual sports
What we don’t
- No mobile app
- No live streaming of real life sporting events
Betsafe is a well-trusted top rated sportsbook and casino games website, with 40+ sports to choose from for betting, 1,000s of betting markets to play in, and well over 2,000 casino games. If you’re looking for variety, Betsafe is the way to go. Pair this with numerous welcome bonuses, promotions, and tips on how to win on their blog, and you can see why Canadians love it.
What we like:
- Comes with free betting tips on their blog for winning on the site
- Has live streaming
- Has numerous bonuses and promotions
- Has tons of live sports to choose from
- Has excellent betting margins and betting markets
- Has a well-developed mobile app
- Comes with a trusted reputation
- 24/7 customer support
What we don’t
- The amount of payment options could be better
While not available in Quebec, this is a top rated sportsbook, with free live streaming, and a wide variety of casino games. It is legal to use, safe, and trusted, and has been in operation since 1997. It is now considered one of the leading betting brands in Europe, and has a dedicated Canadian site with local payment methods.
What we like:
- 35+ sports with high odds
- Free live streaming
- Mobile-friendly platform
- Large selection of casino games from reputable software suppliers
- Fantastic welcome promotions and bonus offers
What we don’t
- Large number of country restrictions
- The mobile casino doesn’t have all of the desktop version games
- Can only telephone in for customer support internationally
With 10+ years of experience underneath its belt, 1xBet is one of the best bookmakers in Canada, offering access to more than 40 sports to wager on, and more than 60,000 events per month to have fun with. This top rated sportsbook comes with a live betting section, 500 markets to bet in, and comes with a generous amount of deposit and withdrawal methods.
What we like:
- Has a wide variety of games to play
- Comes with live dealer casino games from well-trusted software suppliers
- Comes with a loyalty program that has cashback
- Is mobile-friendly
- Has 42 sports that you can bet on
- Has in-play wagering
What we don’t
- Welcome bonuses could be worked on
How These Top Rated Sportsbooks Compare by Welcome Bonuses & Odds Types
The Most Common Deposit Options in Canada
When you’re ready to make a deposit and start betting on your favorite sports, there are a few different payment methods you can use to deposit funds into your sports betting account.
- Bank Wire Transfer: a bank wire transfer is the best option for high rollers. It's fast, safe, and reliable. You can use websites like iDebit and Instadebit to make online bank transfers to the top sportsbook of your choice permitting that they accept these methods.
- e-Wallet: the most commonly used e-wallets are Skrill (Moneybrookers) or Neteller, as they offer quick deposits and withdrawals with minimal fees. However, with the legalization of single-game wagering on sports betting, PayPal is likely to allow deposits and withdrawals.
- Prepaid Credit Card/Debit Card: Credit or debit cards are the fastest and most convenient option for Canadians. The most commonly used options here are Mastercard and VISA.
- Cheques: cheques allow you to make a deposit with minimal fees, but they take longer than eWallets or credit cards.
There are other miscellaneous deposit methods like cryptocurrencies, but these digital currencies can be volatile in value over short periods of time - which is why most Canadians prefer cash options instead. However, don’t necessarily pass this up, as a lot of sports betting websites will provide incentive to deposit with Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and other cryptocurrencies.
Available Bookies Offers For New Canadian Players
When looking to sign up with gambling bookies, take a look at what the bonuses are for new players. Almost all of the best Canadian sportsbooks offer a wide array of sign-up bonuses or welcome bonuses to take advantage of. Some of these you can get even before making an initial deposit. The most common bookie offers for new players include:
- A welcome bonus, which is one of the biggest bonuses you can get. It is typically a matching percentage of your initial deposit.
- The first bet match bonus is where your initial wager is doubled.
- A bonus may be given if you create a personalized link or code to refer them to the site.
- Free bets or bets with no-win, no-loss conditions. This allows you to bet with the sportsbook’s own money.
- Reload offers. Refill your account when it's running low and get a bonus.
- Promotional discounts & big bonuses that rotate around bigger betting events, like March Madness.
What Sports Do Canadians Bet On?
Canadians are huge sports fans, and they're constantly on the lookout for the most rewarding sports to bet on. Needless to say, the top sportsbooks in Canada are focused primarily on hockey, Canadian football, basketball, and baseball. However, below you'll discover which sports are recommended by Canadian bookmakers.
- Ice Hockey: the most popular sport in Canada by a mile, ice hockey is unsurprisingly well represented on the Canadian betting sites. Punters can bet on the outright winner of tournaments and leagues (NHL, IIHF World Championships), as well as individual matches. There are also plenty of prop bets available such as who will score first, what team will win the first period/game etc.
- Canadian Football: Canadian football (CFL) betting odds are available at all gambling bookies in Canada, with the majority of them offering pre-match and live options as well as futures bets such as who will win the Grey Cup.
- Baseball: while not as popular as football or hockey, north of the border, baseball still has a healthy following which is reflected in the number of markets offered by top sportsbooks. Most books offer odds on all three outcomes (winners, losers, draw) for both pre-match and in-play betting options. Wagering on totals (over/under) and moneylines is also available.
- Basketball: the NBA has a loyal following in Canada, with many new sportsbooks providing odds on the league's games as well as those of individual teams. In addition to pre-match and live betting markets, there are also plenty of prop bets available such as best player match-ups or highest scoring quarters.
- Soccer: while the beautiful game is not as popular in Canada as it is in other countries, it is nevertheless well represented on the best Canadian sportsbooks. All of the major leagues (MLS, EPL, La Liga etc.) and international competitions are covered by odds. When it comes to soccer matches, in-play betting is especially popular.
- UFC: there is no question that Canadians like to bet on mixed martial arts (MMA) just as much as any other live sport. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in particular, has a huge following north of the border and it's reflected in their betting odds at top Canadian bookmakers. You can wager on who will win the fight, how many rounds the match will last and a variety of prop bets.
- Lacrosse: this is yet another very popular pastime in Canada. In fact, lacrosse began in Canada, as French Jesuit missionaries were the first to observe Native American Indians playing the game in present-day Ontario in the mid-1630s. This is considered to be the national sport of Canada and as such, there are top rated sportsbooks that allow bettors to place their wagers on big competitions, such as the Canadian Lacrosse League and the NLL.
- Rugby Union: rugby is another sport that has been growing in popularity in Canada in recent years. The top domestic league is the Canadian Rugby Championship, which was founded in 2014. The national team has competed in every World Cup to date, and it competes in the Americas Rugby Championship regularly. Local Canadian bettors that are interested in rugby union may choose a sportsbook that offers odds on matches from the aforementioned competitions as an alternative.